homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Safari and Curse of the Invisible Cursor

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Safari and Curse of the Invisible Cursor
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 8 posted September 10, 2006 09:03      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone else here running Safari run into this problem? The cursor goes invisible when hovering over the Address Bar, making it very hard to select any of the interface buttons.

Not all the time, but like 5 percent of the time. This was fixed for me a while back with an update, but since the latest OS update, it's come back. (10.4.7)

Also really annoying: if you start typing in the Google search text field window before a page is fully loaded, your text insert cursor gets bumped out. Drives me friggin' crazy. Again, this was fixed a few updates ago, now it's back.

[Mad]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 10, 2006 09:25      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have seen it.

Damned annoying. Thanks goodness the boss at the job has installed firefox on all of the Macs.

Oh and what is with running Windws Media files from Safari. How in the world do you specify that it should just go straight to Windows Media Player without Safari trying to load it up and then telling you that it doesn't work that way? And then asking if I want to use Media Player? [shake head]

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 10, 2006 12:20      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And this is why I don't use Safari. It simply doesn't cut it for me.

Use Firefox or Camino instead...they're full feature web browsers, not stripped down toys. (Konqueror is a pretty good browser, it's a shame that Apple didn't wrap some decent chrome around KHTML/Webkit.)

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted September 10, 2006 13:46      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This invisible cursor anomaly was the main reason why I decided to what all the fuss was about Firefox.

Turns out everybody was right - Safari is better than IE, but that isn't a big achievement. Firefox is much nicer. I use Netscape occaisionally, and I only tried Opera once, so I have stuck with Firefox.

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
shriver
Geek
Member # 3556

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 10, 2006 14:50      Profile for shriver     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Camino is a beautiful browser. In itself it is almost enough to justify me spending the money for a Mac...

... almost.

--------------------
And a thousand thousand slimy things
Lived on; and so did I.

Posts: 111 | From: Seattle | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 10, 2006 15:21      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd use Camino, but I just can't go without a few key Firefox extensions...

I [hearts] Web Developer Toolbar...

(and Flashblock & Greasemonkey)

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture