homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » All about the comics!   » The Joy of Tech   » Songs to clear the head of a song stuck in your head? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Songs to clear the head of a song stuck in your head?
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted April 01, 2008 21:15      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As the current JoT suggests, we use Andromeda's High Guard Theme (Season 2 Main Title) as a song to clear our heads of songs that are stuck in our heads.

Amazon link to that one.

Can anyone recommend any others that do the job?

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 01, 2008 23:29      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is the song that never ends, it goes on and
on my friends, someone started singing it not
knowing what it was, and the'll continue singing
it forever just because, this is the song that
never ends,

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 01, 2008 23:57      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to Claire Hooper this is a cure for just about everything...

<sings tune="William tell overture">
I'm a horse,
I'm a horse,
I'm a horse horse horse...
</sings>

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 02, 2008 03:32      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks guys, now I can't get that song out of my head. What a great day it will be!!! [crazy] [Eek!] [crazy]

--------------------
"It is better to press ones shirt, than ones luck"- Confucius

Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted April 02, 2008 05:22      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I have a song stuck in my head, I usually listen to other catchy things until something obliterates it.

(I was -so- tempted to put a Rickroll link up there, but I decided to be nice)

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Zwilnik

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 02, 2008 05:58      Profile for Zwilnik   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Banana Splits theme song is a classic brain cleaner. For some reason or other hearing it or singing it to yourself clears out other songs and it doesn't stick in your head.

Also has the advantage of not needing to risk watching that pile of go-se Andromeda [Smile]

--------------------
The Universe is entirely made up of elements.
The most important of which is the element of surprise.

Posts: 1040 | From: West Sussex, UK | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 02, 2008 06:05      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I have a song stuck in my head I listen to Olivia Newton John music until the other song goes away. If the ONJ song gets stuck in my head I don't mind because she is my favorite musical artist.

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 02, 2008 06:56      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think any song will do as a mind-clearer as long as you can summon it at will. (I've found the problem is often that the "song in your head" prevent you from concentrating on anything else. A random song just won't stick over.) So I've pick up a couple of songs I like just enough, but aren't that "sticky", and imprinted them in my brain so that no matter what I have going on, just thinking hard enough about them will have them take over my brain.

So mine are a song by Brel ("Chante"), and "C'est pour vivre": lyrics by Eddy Marnay, music by André Popp, sung by (gasp!) Celine Dion (but her old self, before she was "rebuilt" by her current manager into the unbearable megastar she is now). Both songs impressed me much when I was a teen, and they would kinda pop up in my head every now and then. So I decided to use them to get rid of the more annoying ones.

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted April 02, 2008 08:38            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Usually "Blister In The Sun" by the Violent Femmes works well for me.
IP: Logged
Nashville
Maximum Newbie
Member # 214

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 02, 2008 09:12      Profile for Nashville     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida, by Iron Butterfly. The long version (17:10) is guaranteed to administer an awesome audio smackdown to any wimpy pop tune brash enough to challenge the psychedelic might of its extended solos.
Posts: 19 | From: Nashville, TN, USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 02, 2008 09:59      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I now have replaced the other annoying song in my head with "Mr.Clean". Steen, your going down!!! [Mad]

--------------------

Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted April 02, 2008 12:30      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
geekygoddess:
I now have replaced the other annoying song in my head with "Mr.Clean". Steen, your going down!!! [Mad]

To paraphrase a much missed former forum regular...

Exposing you to the Mr. Clean jingle was just one microscopic cog in my catastrophic plan.
[evil]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 02, 2008 13:33      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why must you pick on the little newbie??? And where have I heard that before? No wonder they have warned me about you [Wink]

--------------------

GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted April 02, 2008 13:48      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Honestly, it's mostly because you're from Tennessee. People from Tennessee should be picked on [Big Grin]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

bampfer
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 16370

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted April 02, 2008 14:13      Profile for bampfer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The following works for me without fail:

"Mister Tamborine Man" as sung by William Shatner.

Works every time, requires only one listen, and the replacement song does not stay in my head for very long (I suspect it's because the Shatner song is so memorable and ridiculous, but it's not a dance song, and not very catchy.)

I've kept an MP3 of this song on my hard drive since early 1999 for emergencies.

Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted April 02, 2008 16:38      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope I had only one song in my head. Actually there might be four of five right now. But anyway I don't feel uncomfortable with any of them.

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 02, 2008 19:04      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmmm.... Steen I see that you are from Tennessee as well, you know that turn about is fair play!!! [devil wand]

--------------------

Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted April 02, 2008 19:39      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by geekygoddess:
Hmmmm.... Steen I see that you are from Tennessee as well, you know that turn about is fair play!!! [devil wand]

So are you two Brother and sister, first cousins...... Sorry we in the north think everyone down south there are related. Is that stero typing? Oh well, back to ice fish'n ya fur sure don'cha know.

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 02, 2008 19:58      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Haha, don't be a hater man!!! I will have to ask Steen if we are related, up in this here neck of the woods, that's how we roll, ya know, ya'll??? [Razz]

--------------------

Bibo
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 03, 2008 00:02      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zwilnik:
The Banana Splits theme song is a classic brain cleaner. For some reason or other hearing it or singing it to yourself clears out other songs and it doesn't stick in your head.

And what song comes up during shuffle on my iPod today?

"The Tra La La Song (One Banana, Two Banana)" Covered by Liz Phair & Material Issue.

And it's still stuck in my head! But then I did watch me a lot of Banana Splits back in the day
[crazy]

Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted April 03, 2008 17:18      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anything by Bread or Air Supply

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Nashville
Maximum Newbie
Member # 214

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted April 04, 2008 06:59      Profile for Nashville     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bampfer:
The following works for me without fail:

"Mister Tamborine Man" as sung by William Shatner.

Works every time, requires only one listen, and the replacement song does not stay in my head for very long (I suspect it's because the Shatner song is so memorable and ridiculous, but it's not a dance song, and not very catchy.)

I've kept an MP3 of this song on my hard drive since early 1999 for emergencies.

Oh come on now - if you're going to invoke the Shat, you gotta go with LSD.*

* LSD = Lucy In the Sky With Diamonds, for the children in the crowd.

Nashville
Maximum Newbie
Member # 214

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 04, 2008 07:02      Profile for Nashville     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MacD - yah, yah, we've heard it all before; everybody in the South is sleeping with their sister/brother and has seen a UFO.

Well, we're both dating other people as well, and it might have been a weather balloon.... [Big Grin]

geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 04, 2008 10:48      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, I really did see a UFO!!! I swear!!! [Big Grin]

--------------------

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 04, 2008 13:44      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by geekygoddess:
Hey, I really did see a UFO!!! I swear!!! [Big Grin]

Cousin Jim-Bob 'flying' out the door of the trailer after cousin Elly-May caught him with cousin Mary-Beth is not a UFO.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture